The teen years are a great time for orthodontics, as your teen can have their smile adjusted while they are still growing and enjoy straight teeth for the rest of their life. By having braces or Invisalign Teen during teen years, the orthodontic process can help to give your child a boost of confidence from a beautiful smile. This blog post will discuss some of the most common orthodontic options for teens.
Let’s Talk About Traditional Braces
Traditional braces are a tried and true orthodontic option for both teens and adults. This treatment is what many people think of when they think about correcting their smile. Braces are a combination of brackets and wires that are gradually tightened and adjusted over time until your smile is properly aligned. The end result is a beautiful and confident smile.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Traditional Braces?
Is your teenager ready to achieve their dream smile? They might be an excellent candidate for braces if they have healthy teeth, no untreated gum issues, and are experiencing an orthodontic challenge such as gaps, crowded teeth, or a misaligned bite. Let’s begin their journey to a brilliant grin today!
What Are the Benefits of Traditional Braces?
Braces can help improve the overall appearance and health of your teeth. Here are some benefits of braces:
- Improved oral hygiene – Braces can help ensure that all teeth fit together properly, which can reduce the risk of tooth decay and gum disease. This can also make brushing and flossing easier, as it is easier to reach every corner of your mouth while wearing braces.
- Correct bite issues – Braces can help correct misaligned bites, or overbites or underbites, by properly aligning the upper and lower jaws into their proper positions. This in turn helps to improve speech clarity and reduce discomfort for people who have bites causing them pain.
- Improved self-confidence – For those with misaligned teeth, wearing braces can help boost their self-esteem due to improved physical appearance, as well as helping them become more comfortable speaking in public and smiling confidently.
- Better overall health – Proper alignment not only makes for a healthier mouth, it can also reduce strain on other parts of the body such as the neck and back from improper posture from an improper bite or jaw alignment due to crooked teeth.
Let’s Talk About Invisalign Teen
Invisalign Teen is a modern orthodontic treatment that gradually shifts teeth and the bite using sets of clear aligners made from a proprietary material designed to be gentle but firm. These aligners are used in a treatment plan designed by your orthodontist and are intended to be worn for 22 hours a day. The Invisalign Teen line is a newer addition to the Invisalign brand, and there are unique features that make it more suited to the needs of teenagers, including:
- Compliance dots are placed on the back of each Invisalign Teen tray. These dots are made of a unique material that will naturally disappear when the trays are worn for enough hours every day. They are an invaluable tool for orthodontists and parents who are trying to ensure that their teens are wearing their aligners for enough hours per day. If your child visits the orthodontist and the dots have not been worn off, we will know to delay moving to the next set of trays.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Invisalign Teen?
Invisalign Teen is a very versatile orthodontic solution that can be used to treat a broad range of conditions, including:
- Crooked teeth
- Open bite
- And more!
What Are the Benefits of Invisalign Teen?
There are many different reasons why adults choose Invisalign Teen for their teenagers instead of more traditional braces. Some of the benefits include:
- Invisalign Teen clear aligners can be removed from the mouth, so that you can comfortably eat, drink, floss, and brush your teeth
- Clear aligners are virtually invisible, so teens who might feel self-conscious about wearing braces can feel confident about their smiles
- Invisalign Teen aligners are often more comfortable than braces, as there are no wires or brackets